Friday, May 2, 2014

blog-iversary

So I sort of let the blog's anniversary (8 years as of April 23!!!) slip on past with little-to-no fanfare...

Most of the time it doesn't seem like I've been blogging that long. Probably because I am inconsistent, not at all prolific, and sometimes goes for chunks of time running radio silent, or with one post a month. And then I go do something radical like this month and give you three posts in a row.

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a ton to talk about, especially now. I don't have my pony in my backyard to talk about her daily antics, or even close enough by to justify frequent trips to the barn just to see her. Would love to...but a barn that's 25+ miles one way means that's just not practical. And when I do ride...there's nothing particularly earth-shattering about another round of arena circles.

I know things will change...this is just another "season" in life...but in the meantime, it means I'm a bit uninspired right now. But the silver lining of the whole thing is that it is giving me a chance to do things like spend time with my boyfriend and explore some non-horsey pursuits, and put a lot of time into my puppy during this critical and impressionable age of turning her into a good canine citizen.

boating out on Saguaro Lake last weekend...an area with
a lot of my favorite riding trails as well

lots of playtime with the puppy...
Artemis is just over seven months old now and
turning into an awesome companion dog

The biggest obstacle to my being a really good blogger is my inherent lazy streak. (This is my biggest obstacle in writing, period. That, and my tendency to overthink.) Or lack of good subject material. (Okay, not that there's ever truly a lack of good material when it comes to horses and endurance, but right around the time I think,"I should do a blog post," I can't think of anything to write about.)

I can appreciate that blogging has made me a better photographer in that I try to take more photos. One of my big regrets of my early years in distance riding was I didn't have a camera, or was too busy just trying to stay alive that I couldn't be bothered to take photos. When I'm busy actively riding, I have very little faith in my ability to handle reins, camera, horse, and staying in the saddle all at the same time...I want a helmet cam.

I do wish I had done a better job of tracking and logging information from the start, though. I would love to know how many hours and training miles I've logged on Mimi over the last 13 years (we started conditioning in the summer of 2001). Lesson learned: I will attempt to do a better job of tracking things with the next horse(s). Even if I'm too lazy to bother with computer programs, a large handwritten calendar should do the trick.

So I never thought I'd make it this long with blogging...I'm notoriously bad at sticking with/finishing anything...so for me, that's doing pretty good. Guess I'll keep on keepin' at it...

Mimi and I on "mini Cougar Rock"
Desert Forest NATRC March 2007
Wickenburg, AZ
photo by Ray Brezina



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I realized that I too started my blog in April, only it was just 3 years ago for me. I started it when Sheza was born to track her prgoress--hard to believe she is off being ridden now and I have another baby filly to raise already! So glad I started the blog and got obsessed with pictures as you mentioned. SO much can go on with horses in just a few years!

    Can't wait to chat again in person soon and in the meantime, I'll be reading as ever :) Write on, ride on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary, old-timer! I really love that, uh, Arizona Rock picture - great shot, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go through phases too, where sometimes I live and breathe my horse and then sometimes he's on the back burned for awhile. I think that's just the way life is for those of us normal people who have to find balance:) I love reading about your adventures and I'm glad you're still blogging!

    ReplyDelete