Friday, January 15, 2010

Cross-Training

Typically, when the term "cross-training" comes up, it's in the context of the horse.  Well, not this time.  This weekend, I'm embarking on some cross-training of my own.  I'm signed up to participate in the PF Chang's Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon here in Phoenix on Sunday.

My finish goal is the same as my endurance goals: just finish, even if I'm the turtle.  I'm not a runner by any stretch of the imagination, and even though I enjoy it, my DNA didn't get the message to gift me with the runner's physique, so my style of running is more of a "run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile" type of thing.  Slow and steady, and hopefully that'll get me across the finish line within 4 hours.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Ashley! I'm sure you'll have a blast!

    Is this your first competitive run? I used to do half marathons and I loved the distance and I adore all the people that cheer you on along the way. They pump you up just when you're feeling down.

    I hope you have a lot of fun. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you, nuts? I can't run from here to the barn. I could hike a half marathon though it might take me two days. : )

    good luck and have fun!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle -- Yes, this is my first run. I went to the convention expo yesterday to pick up my runner's packet, and it reminded me of being at an endurance ride...similar energy, and really friendly people. Must be something about the "extreme sports" type.

    Merri -- Yes, I'm nuts. However, "run" is a sibjective thing with me...I tend to shuffle pathetically, but I can powerwalk pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete