Monday, March 2, 2009

Ultimatums

Another successful 50 completion under our belts at Valley of the Sun 4 Ride, which starts getting the wheels going...

Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't too hasty in making my Tevis ultimatum last fall, and pinning all of my future plans on the successful completion of one ride, a notoriously difficult ride at that. I recognize I was in somewhat of a depressive state last fall, and maybe declaring that "we finish Man Against Horse or Tevis is off" might have been extreme. The stars aren't always in alignment for every ride, and one unsuccessful ride doesn't mean the end of a career. Who knows what would have happened at MaH if the weather had been better, or we had done better on time?

On the flip side, a grand total of 2 50-mile completions doesn't mean we can finish Tevis. But I still want to try. If it was closer, and I had my qualification miles, I would do it, just to say my pony and I tried. The 2 day, 800-something miles, $300 in gas trip makes me a little more hesitant. Not to mention I still need 200 more qualifying miles. There's enough rides between now and then...unfortunately, they're all out of state.

I've got Tevis fever, bad. And the couple months break was good for me. I've come back much more refreshed and optimistic again. Pony's bright eyes and cheerful whinny yesterday were also a good sign.

Part of me doesn't even want to go there, not even take the risk...but then there's a part of my that says, "You don't know until you try. Have faith." There's no day like today, and I don't know where I'll be at with my life come next summer, or how long it'll take me to get established in my career and start acting like an actual grown-up, and when I'll have another horse in that kind of condition. The next few years are going to be hectic as I finish school, move out on my own, and settle into my life and career. I'll be lucky enough to have time to breathe, let alone get an endurance horse in condition for Tevis.

I promise there will be more to come on this subject as I spend the next several weeks hashing out the pros and cons, potential ride plans, etc. And come up with some fast access to money.

2 comments:

  1. Oh - posts like this make me wish I could go over, pick you up and take you out for a cup of coffee!

    You were speaking right to my heart with this post. After Death Valley, Tevis was (cautiously) back on the table. After this 65 mile ride, I know I have a 100 mile horse, but I'm worried about her being off (still trying to debate whether to call the vet). Now I"m thinking Tevis 2010.....Time is running out for me. I'm going back to vet school in the fall of 2011 and I'm worried Tevis will keep getting pushed back.

    Here is what I use for my encouragement: Whenever I don't think I'll be able to ride endurance while in vet school, I read "living in a zoo" blog. She's a 3rd year vet student and she's conditioning a horse for endurance!

    I'm not sure of your specific situation, but maybe this will help:

    I am 24 years old. I graduated from college in 2006 and was given my first horse that spring. We attempted our first endurance ride in the spring of 2007 and it's morphed from there! I had ZERO time to ride (or money) in college. Now that I am out of college I find that I have a LOT more free time to do what I want. I'm finding the working world much easier in terms of personal commitment than school ever was. In order to support my 2 horse habit and endurance I do live very simply, however it's worth it. I'm not sure what career you are going for etc., but I'm finding endurance VERY doable. Your situation may be different but don't assume you'll have to quit endurance. There might be a way.

    Sorry this is so long! About the $$ part of the Tevis.....I looked at the entry fee for Tevis...did you know that the entry (including the buckle) is about $500!!!!! I was shocked. 100's around here are usualling 150-200 dollar entry fees.

    I will have my miles by the Tevis this year and I'm still debating back and forth...and back and forth...whether to attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of doing it too.

    Decisions, decisions.....

    ReplyDelete