Friday, October 3, 2008

Off to the races!

I've just got to make breakfast really quick, and then we're out the door for the 25th Annual Man Against Horse Race! This is a really fun ride that pits human runners against horses and their riders! They offer a 50 mile race, a 25 mile race, and a 12 mile run/fun ride. It's held in Prescott, Arizona, which is about 2 hours north of Phoenix, in the mountains.

This will be my fourth year participating in this ride. For the past three years, I've done the 25 mile LD ride. This year, we're doing the 50. This was also my first AERC ride ever, so I'm very partial to this ride, and it has a lot of sentimental attachment for me. It's also a very casual, laidback ride, but very well organized. Ron Barrett and his team do a fantastic job every year, and it's my understanding that this year, they even went as far as clearing rocks off the trail! Wow!

It's usually a smaller ride for the 50 - anywhere from 20-30 entries. I'm guessing this is probably because the ride has a very tough reputation. The 2000' elevation gain in 3 miles climb up Mingus Mountain halfway through probably has something to do with it.

But I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I think this ride will be a really good test to see if Mimi and I have what it takes to keep aiming for Tevis. A lot of climbing, some rough trail, and some very tricky, technical areas. This last bit is more concerning me than the pony - she could care less. It's me that has a bit of a thing about heights and long dropoffs. *don't look down, don't look down*

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment